International Conference: “Incorporation of the rights of the child into the educational programmes and curricula of universities”
1-2 October 2020, AkakiTsereteliStateUniversity,Kutaisi,Georgia
1. General Information
The United Nations Children’s Fund, in partnership with Akaki Tsereteli State University, and under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of Georgia, will be hosting the first-ever in Georgia international conference dedicated to the incorporation of the Rights of the Child into university education programmes and curricula. The conference aims to provide a space for teaching and learning the provisions and principles of Child Rights, and to help empower future specialists to act towards putting Child Rights into practice in day-to-day lives at home, at school, and in communities.
The two-day conference will bring together professors and students, officials from the Government, members of Parliament, the Public Defender’s Office, NGOs, the diplomatic corps in Georgia, representatives from UN agencies, respective international organizations, and school teachers and specialists from the Educational Resource Centres.
This gathering will provide an avenue for rich discussions and presentations by well-known national and international specialists and teachers, as well as the student winners of an essay writing contest. The role of universities in promoting Child Rights and influencing social norms will be central to discussions.
The conference will enable universities to share their initiatives aimed at incorporating the Rights of the Child into university programmes for the education of future Child Rights advocates in the fields of education, law, business, and other important disciplines.
Working languages of the conference are Georgian and English. Simultaneous translations will be provided.
We invite interested candidates and students to apply with abstracts and essays.
For further details, visit:
2. The Conference Themes:
- Current situation and perspectives on the Rights of the Child to prepare future professionals studying at universities in Georgia (including emergency situations);
- International best practices for teaching the Rights of the Child in universities;
- Child-friendly society and Child Rights in: education, justice, health, and social services;
- Strengthening Child Rights Culture.
Sessions will be organized around each topic and followed by panel discussions.
3. Submission of Conference Abstracts, Full Papers and Presentations
This is an open call inviting theoretical and empirical, as well as practical, contributions on the multi-dimensional issue regarding the Rights of the Child, focusing on the incorporation of Child Rights into university curricula for the preparation of future professionals in different academic specializations.
- Participants interested in presenting oral or poster presentations are invited to submit an abstract.
- Conference abstracts should correspond to the stated theme(s) and adhere to the following requirements.
- Abstracts should be a maximum of 300 words and be presented in a MS Word file: compatible fonts (Sylfaen,Calibri), font size: 11 (font size 12 can be used for titles); spacing: 1.5. Please avoid the use of thematic pictures/charts/tables in the abstracts. These can be used in presentations and in conference papers.
Abstracts should contain the following information:
- – Full name(s) of author(s),
- – Affiliation details: position of author(s), department/faculty, institution, city, country,
- – Contact information of the author(s): valid phone number and email,
- – Conference theme(s) to which abstract corresponds,
- – The title of the abstract,
- – Keywords,
- – Abstract (main text).
- Each author can submit up to 2 abstracts.
- Accepted abstracts cannot be edited after the submission deadline.
- Accepted abstracts will be published in Georgian and English languages.
The deadline for submission of conference Abstracts is 20 July 2020, 18:00 (Georgian time). Conference abstracts should be sent to the Organizing Committee at the following emails (both): firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Please indicate the following text in the subject line:“abstract-CRconference”.
Conference Scientific Committee will select abstracts and participants will be notified of the decision no later than 15 August 2020, 18:00 (Georgian time).
b. Full Papers
Authors of the selected Abstracts have to provide Full Papers which should be a maximum of 10 pages in a MS Word file: compatible fonts (Sylfaen, Calibri), font size: 11 (font size 12 can be used for titles); spacing: 1.5. Thematic pictures/charts/tables may be used to better demonstrate the issue. Detailed instructions for the Full Papers will be provided to the authors of the selected abstracts.
The deadline for submission of the conference Full Papers is 10 September 2020, 18:00 (Georgian time).
Conference Full Papers should be sent to the Organizing Committee at the following emails (both): firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Please indicate the following text in the subject line: “paper – CR conference”.
Conference Presentations of the selected Abstracts should be prepared in MS Power Point, or any other relevant programme for presentations. Detailed instructions on the Presentations will be provided to the authors of the selected abstracts.
The deadline for submission of conference Presentations is 10 September 2020, 18:00 (Georgian Time). Selected Presentations should be sent to the Organizing Committee at the following emails (both):
4. Contest for Students
The Contest for Students is a unique part of the conference that aims to involve university students in understanding and raising awareness of the Rights of the Child, as well as supporting students’ ideas and their involvement in Child Rights Education.
Conference organizers are inviting students to apply with their essays on any of the four themes of the conference. Organizers invite students of all specializations from all authorized higher education institutions of Georgia to apply. To qualify, participants should have active student status, currently enrolled in the fourth year of their BA studies, or studying at the MA level.
All participating student-authors of essays will receive a Certificate of Participation. The Scientific Committee of the Conference will select the three best essays for an award. Authors of the selected three best essays will be invited to the conference to deliver presentations.
Submission of Essays
Submitted essays should comply with the following conditions:
- Essays should correspond to the theme(s) of the conference;
- One student can submit only one essay;
- Each essay should have one author;
- Essays should be submitted in Georgian or English languages (or in both);
- The maximum length of an essay is 10 pages;
Essays should have: compatible fonts (Sylfaen, Calibri), font size 11 (font size 12 can be used for titles); spacing: 1.5. Essays may contain pictures/charts/tables for better demonstration of the issue;
Essays should contain the following information:
- – Full name of student (author),
- – Affiliation details: BA/MA and the year of education, department/faculty, institution, city,
- – Contact information of the student: valid phone number and email,
- – Conference theme(s) to which the essay corresponds,
- – The title of the essay,
- – Keywords,
– Essay (main text).
The three best essays will be selected for publication in an abstract book in Georgian and English languages.
The deadline for submission of conference Essays is 30 July 2020, 18:00 (Georgian time). Conference essays should be sent to the Organizing Committee at the following emails (both): firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Please indicate the following text in the subject line: “essay – CR conference”.
Authors of the three best essays will be notified by 1 September 2020, and will be invited to prepare presentations for the conference.
5. Financial support
Accepted essays cannot be edited after the submission deadline;
Conference organizers will financially support (transportation and accommodation costs) participation of the selected authors (abstracts and three best essays) in the conference.
For any further information please contact Natia Jokhadze at: firstname.lastname@example.org and Nani Zeinklishvili at: email@example.com
We believe that participants will find the conference valuable by actively taking part in lively and rigorous discussions about the realities,challenges, and opportunities that co-exist in national, regional, and international contexts.
We cordially invite you to join us, and we are looking forward to meeting you in Kutaisi!